Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Grab your windex

Tonight I was getting ready to pray and I reached under my bedside table to grab my Bible and my journal and behind those things, and the many books I'm either in the middle of reading or longing to read, was a packet I had put together a couple of months ago. I had searched for verses that I needed at the time, promises that I needed to speak over my life. I had printed it out and stapled it together and was really excited about it. Well, tonight I picked it up and as I went to turn the page I felt this dusty film on top of it. I didn't realize I had left it alone long enough to gather dust. Everything else was the same. Nothing had changed. The verses were all still there. They all meant the same thing they meant a few months ago and even when they were first ever written. The only thing that was different was the result of my neglect. Romans 4:21 says, "Yet he (Abraham) did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised." In the verses preceding this one it talks about the things Abraham had to face. In verse 19 it says, "he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead-since he was about a hundred years old- and that Sarah's womb was also dead." Don't you think Abraham had to wipe the dust off of God's promise for his life? He had to look at who he was, what was and wasn't happening, the facts... and see underneath all of that dust to who God was, what God was capable of, and most importantly what God had promised to him. God is not the one who changes. We are the ones who change. It is not God's promises that change, fade, or disappear, but our perception of them. Some of us, me definitely included, need to wipe the dust off of words spoken to us, promises made, scriptures that speak to our situation, and believe that God has the power to do what he promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment