Monday, April 11, 2011

Do today what you want done unto you tomorrow

I had a conversation with a friend recently that has stirred something in me. We were talking about being the new kid. You know, being new to the job, new to your church, new to a neighborhood, or all of the above. Whatever the case, being the newbie is very challenging. You have to meet new friends, you have needs that must be met, you are looking for a listening ear, and at some point you feel all alone. And there are people that embrace you and people that don't. Many times in my life I have been the newbie. Pastoring and developing 6 youth groups over the past 5 years and taking lots of students on missions has called for a lot of first-time experiences, many opportunities for new friendships, some opportunities for new intense conflict, and even one "I don't know how to say this, but why are you here?" And I remember those that embraced me and helped me adapt to my new place. Those people are forever in my heart and I know that God will bless them big-time for the sacrificial kindness shown to me. And then there were some that didn't. I try to think on the ones that did rather than the ones that didn't. Everyone has been there at one time or another. You walk into a room and no one says hello. You sit down by yourself, and no one befriends you. You do something that may be a little different than the way they do, or you say something a little strange by their standards, and you are met by odd glances, silence, and everyone looking for a way to escape! I try very hard to embrace new people, because I remember what it was like so well and I am continually placed in that position. However, I am by no means claiming to be perfect at this and by no means am I claiming to have never neglected an opportunity to be warm and welcoming to someone I did not already know. Just recently I met a young lady in our church 3 times without remembering her. I know how many times, because she told me. I felt awful! It's horrible to feel forgotten. So I'm not writing this to say "I'm great at this and you should be too." I'm writing this to encourage us to look at someone new as if it were us in that position. How would we want to be treated? I encourage you to look back and remember what it was like to be the new person. What words were spoken that still hurt? What neglect did you undergo through that experience? Who embraced you and treated you as though you were the best thing since DVR? And I encourage you to operate from that place. How do you treat the new kids? Do you ignore them? Do you wait for them to prove themselves before you put yourself out there? Do you respond positively to their efforts? Do you think it's not your problem and wait for someone else to do it? Do you just simply not see them because you are too concerned with yourself? Or maybe it is as innocent as being in a rush or having too much on your plate? Some might say, "well, I'm just not good at that." Well, awesome. Let's all not do anything unless we think we're great at it and see how fast we can get nowhere. What we may not realize is that our failure to operate in our weaknesses could have a negative and even detrimental effect on another's life. I know we're not going to be perfect at it and that there will be times when we fall short, but why not try? Just give it a shot. Because you never know how deep your actions and reactions go into another's heart until that very thing happens to you. I don't want to have to wait until it happens to me to realize it was wrong or wait until it's not happening for me to realize it would've been awesome. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment